Unfair Will/Inheritance Act

Lack of Capacity

Undue Influence/Coercion

Lost Will

Missing Beneficiaries

Unclear Will

Negligent Solicitor

Unfair will

Unfair Will

Have you been left out of a will?

Have you been left less than you would have expected in a will?

Are you worried that under the rules of intestacy you will not be given a fair share of your partner’s estate?

Are you worried that a will is unfair?

If you answer yes to any of these questions you should consider whether you can make a legal claim under a special statute known as the “Inheritance Act”.

The Inheritance Act enables certain categories of people (such as the spouse, partner or child of the deceased) to make a claim against the Estate for “reasonable provision”. For example, if your partner died but left most of his money and property to somebody else you could bring a claim to receive a larger share of the Estate on the basis that you have not been reasonably provided for.

We are able to act for any of the parties in an Inheritance Act claim and have experience defending claims as well as bringing claims. When we act for the person challenging a will we usually agree to a “no win no fee” agreement to fund the Inheritance Act case.

No win no fee Inheritance Act Claims

Inheritance Act claims can usually be funded under a no win no fee agreement.

We have an excellent track record of bringing no win no fee Inheritance Act claims. Most of our Inheritance Act claims settle before the case reaches court. However, where cases go to trial we work with leading specialist barristers who also agree to work under no win no fee agreements.

Who we help in Inheritance Act Claims

The Inheritance Act is very specific about who can bring a claim and in what circumstances a claim can be brought.
You can only bring an Inheritance Act claim if you fall into one of the following categories:

You are the spouse or civil partner of the person who died

You are the former spouse or civil partner of the person who died and have not remarried or formed another civil partnership

You lived with the person who died for at least two years before he or she died.

You are a son or daughter of the person who died.

You were treated as a son or daughter of the deceased

You were financially supported by the person who died up until the death

Many of our no win no fee Inheritance Act clients are widows who are unhappy with what their husbands have left them in their wills. For example, your husband might have left a will that only gave you a right to live in your home (known as a “life interest”). Or he might have only left you a small proportion of his estate. This is particularly common where there is a second marriage and the deceased decides to leave most of his estate to his children from his first marriage. This can result in a widow not having enough money to live on or maintain the quality of life she experienced before her husband died. If your husband or wife died and you are worried that you have not been properly provided for please contact us to see if we can help under a no win no fee agreement to challenge the will.

If you were not married and your partner died without a will you may not be entitled to anything under the Rules of Intestacy. Or your partner might have left everything to his children or former wife or husband under an old will. In these circumstances, you could be left with nothing and even face losing your home. If this has happened to you, please contact us to see how we can help under a no win no fee agreement.

If you think you might have a potential Inheritance Act claim please telephone us to see if we can help you under a no win no fee agreement.

Challenging a Will (a part of the law firm SheridanLaw LLP), 16 Princeton Mews, 167-169 London Road, Kingston Upon Thames, KT2 6PT,
Tel: 020 8541 1181 | Fax: 020 8549 7794 | DX 200911, New Malden | mail@sheridanlaw.co.uk.
SheridanLaw LLP is Limited Liability Partnership registered in England & Wales under number OC360693
and regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority under SRA number 555584